Review: Cambodia Noir by Nick Seeley

Cambodia Noir is an action filled ride through a time and place where poverty, corruption and hard living are rife. The year is 2003 and Will Keller is a photographer living in Phnom Penh who is happily spiralling toward self-destruction. His life takes an unexpected turn when a mysterious woman contacts him and asks for his help finding her sister. But no one, and nothing in this book are quite what they seem, Will's search for June Saito comes with many strange and surprising twists.

This tale of corruption and hard living grabbed hold of me, pulled me in and refused to let me go. Neither Will nor June are particularly likeable characters though the mystery, action and a very real sense of place keep the story rolling. The story is also dark, full of gore and utterly depressing, which is far from my usual cup of tea, but I appreciated it within the context of the novel. June is a mystery within a mystery and to tell you that she is anything other than missing would do future readers a massive disservice. 

Not for the easily offended, faint of heart or anyone looking for a cosy read.

Recommended.

Shout out to Simon and Schuster Australia for my reading copy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself